William Moorcroft Pansy vase circa 1920s.
Measures approximately 16cm tall.
A Brief Summary of William Moorcroft
William Moorcroft was employed by Staffordshire pottery manufacturers James Macintyre & Co. Ltd. as a designer in 1897, and after a year he was responsible for the company’s art pottery studio.
William Moorcroft and James Macintyre & Co. Ltd. split up in 1913 and Moorcroft founded his own factory nearby. Some finance came from the famous London store Liberty, and Liberty continued to exercise control over Moorcroft until 1962.
Moorcroft’s reputation was further enhanced with the appointment of the Moorcroft company as Potter to HM The Queen in 1928. On the death of William Moorcroft in 1945, his elder son, Walter, took over management and design and he continued in this position until his retirement in 1987, after which he continued contributing to Moorcroft designs.
Moorcroft pieces are still produced and are very collectable to this day, especially those designed by William and his son Walter.