Moorcroft Pottery was originally founded as a studio in 1897 within a large ceramic company. James Macintyre & Co. Moorcroft pottery soon made its mark on the world. Designs came from 24 year old William Moorcroft who personalised each piece of pottery produced with his own signature or initials. This did little for James Mcintyreâs name and reputation, and in 1913 the inevitable split occurred. William marched his workforce across Cobridge Park to a new factory in Sandbach Road where Moorcroft pottery is still made today. Money came from Liberty, the famous London store and Liberty continued to control Moorcroft until 1962.
In 1904, Moorcroft won a gold medal at the St Louis International Exhibition and followed up the achievement with further medals and commendations, culminating in the appointment of the Moorcroft company as Potter to HM The Queen in 1928
On the death of William Moorcroft in 1945, his elder son, Walter, took over management and design. In 1962, the Moorcroft family bought out Liberty, but Moorcroft seldom prospered. Finally, in 1984, the family sold the bulk of their shares on the open market. After several material shareholder changes in the mid-1980âs and early 1990âs, Moorcroft is now controlled by the Edwards family, and has been since 1993.
We hope you enjoy our beautiful collection of Moorcrofts.